Monday, October 10, 2005

china 003

Yesterday, i was reminded to be thankful in a sermon.
That brings me back to one of my favorite verses in the bible " be joyful always, pray continually and give thanks in all circumstances." ( 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18) It never fails to inspire me, especially during trying times.

i guess i know it is important to be thankful. but somehow, the words of the pastor have challenged me to increase my thankfulness. According to him, being thankful helps us deepen our appreciation for the existing elements in our lives. Consequently, this appreciation increases their value. Wouldn't it be nice if Christ can help broaden my perspective, allowing me to give thanks for the seemingly trivial details that i have always taken for granted? In the new testament, Jesus always seem to see the value in insignificant things and people( from the societal point of view). Instead of seeing the lack in them, He sees the potential in them. He has what we would call " eyes of faith." I have the desire to rely on His eyes, to see the miracles, the magic in the mundane. There are interesting possibilities in one given moment in life, but if only I could see them!!

My desire is that a heart and attitude of thankfulness would be a natural and spontaneous response to the situations in life, instead of it being a conscious and deliberate effort. But I supposed a conscious act becomes a habit, which ultimately becomes natural, like breathing? i don't really know. All i know is that it refreshes the mind to have this feeling!

There are dreams to be fulfilled, desires to be met and obstacles to be overcome. But won't it be helpful to begin the foundation of our journey with a feeling and perspective of thankfulness?


china 180
( a garden in Shanghai)

No comments: